Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday 20 June 2013

A second day in Oxford

We stayed for a second night above Osney Lock which involved wandering down and paying the Osney  Lock Keeper £5 for a mooring permit but worth every penny.  We were not disturbed, the Lockie had ordered wall to wall sunshine for our enjoyment and the local inn, The Punter, formerly The Waterman's Arms, was dog friendly, sold a range of real ales and served really good food, much better than average pub fare. Well worth a visit.

 Enjoying a pint in The Punter
"Do I have you attention? Which pack of pork scratchings do you want?"

Prior to lunch Joe had gone  into the City to collect some post and I wandered off to find a Dunelm store to get some more curtain fabric for a an additional curtain I am making for our back cabin.  Replete from lunch I took the dogs back along the towpath past Osney lock and the Edgar Wilson Memorial (photo below) which sits beside the tow path below Osney Lock at the site where Edgar drowned.

In memory of Edgar George Wilson who, in rescuing two boys from drowning, lost his life, June15, 1889, aged 21 years 


The lock keeper had told me where I could access good dog walking so as soon as I passed the obelisk I turned right along a short path beside the Hincksey stream and out into open countryside. I could barely believe that a stones throw from the City I would find myself walking in acres and acres of meadow land..


 The meadow were full of wild flowers..anyone know what this specimen is?

Not the place to be if you suffer with hay fever

2 comments:

  1. Ahh lovely Oxford, enjoy your stay. Think your pink flower is ragged robin. Karen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, I love to read them and I try to respond to each but regretfully I will no longer accept comments from Anonymous.